“Nailed it again.”
Buy now, £1.99/$2.99/€2.99
What is there to know about alcohol? What is a nerd? Am I a nerd? And why address a book on alcohol to nerds?
If thoughts like these run through your mind, then, yes, please consider yourself a nerd. Your habit of asking awkward questions means you are well-placed to reconfigure your approach to alcohol.
And, as to why: Doing so allows us to neatly side-step one of the planet’s biggest sources of mental and physical health problems, while feeling better, avoiding mistakes and saving heaps of money.
This book offers reflections and extrapolations on the findings of Alcohol Companion, a scientific overview you can read before, after or not at all.
The only prerequisite is knowing that science can make life better. ■
- “Phil Cain nails it again.”
Praise for writing and earlier book on this topic:
- “Phil Cain’s writing can help to bring the long-awaited change to society’s attitude to alcohol,” psychotherapist, London
- “The ‘user manual’ for alcohol. I wish I’d have read it sooner! A witty page-turner … I didn’t want to put it down,” 5-star review
- “You are doing something really important,” Professor Quentin Skinner, Co-Director of the Centre for the Study of the History of Political Thought.
- “A treasure trove of facts, stories, science and philosophical nuggets,” Professor Alan Maryon-Davis, former chair of the Royal Society for Public Health
- “This book opened my eyes in so many ways … A must-read for anyone wanting to explore their relationship with alcohol,” Alison Canavan, wellness advocate and supermodel
- “A great read offering lots of new materials and insights,” alcohol and drug programme team leader, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
- “Alcohol Companion provides great insight into the impacts of alcohol on both the individual and society,” Stephen Holt Samuels, lead singer, Inspiral Carpets
- “A much-needed, well-informed contribution to a subject where everyone involved is often very emotionally invested,” Jon Stewart, guitarist from Sleeper and blogger on recovery
- “a treasure trove of information,” blogger/entrepreneur Swen Lorenz
- “Really inspiring material—way to go—inspirational and appreciated by those like myself, fortunate to have recovery and a second chance at life,” psychology professor, US (email)
- “Since going alcohol-free nine months ago, I’ve found the more knowledge you can absorb about alcohol and its long-term effects, the more secure you become in your decision to quit. … Well written and researched.” (5-stars)
- “An incredibly insightful read,” counsellor, London.
- “It’s excellent… Multi-faceted approaches to alcohol, breezily written yet serious,” author/publisher, Twitter
- “Enjoyable, witty and thorough.” (5-stars)
- “It’s a great read, entertaining and eye-opening.” (5-stars)
- “The charming and effective writing style makes the reading more than interesting … A must read!” (5-stars)
- “Great book, easy to read, full of ‘fun’ facts.” (5-stars)
- “Phil Cain hits the right tone, not preachy or judgemental but not shying away from or sugar coating the facts either.” (5-stars)
- “I love Phil Cain’s unique style and way to put things in perspective.” (5-stars)