The rate of potentially harmful “hazardous drinking” among men in England has fallen by almost a quarter in the last 15 years. The percentage drinking at this level fell from 37% in 2000 to 28% in 2014 (see chart). The rate among women remained stable at just under 15%. Overall, levels of harmful and dependent drinking—the latter involving a range of physical and psychological symptoms—also remained stable, though becoming less common among 16 to 24 year olds and more common among 55 to 64 year olds. ■
“Just like we have on cigarette packets exactly what happens to you if you choose to smoke, it should say what happens to you if you choose to drink,” Alison Hernandez, Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall.
Members of Switzerland’s volunteer firefighter service will be allowed to tackle blazes after consuming moderate amounts of alcohol …
Cree author and crown prosecutor, Harold R. Johnson, shares his experience on why he wrote the new book, Firewater: How Alcohol is Killing Our People (And Yours).
Top of the Pops (alphabetical):
– Ariel Chardonnay 2014, <0.5pc vol, £7.99, The – Alcohol Free Shop
– Belvoir Organic Elderflower Cordial 500ml: £2.92, Ocado
– Brewdog Nanny State (bitter) 330ml, 0.5pc vol, £1.29, Tesco
– Daylesford Sparkling Apple & Bilberry Juice 75cl: £3.99, Ocado
– Double Dutch Pomegranate & Basil 20cl: £1.45, 31 Dover
– Eisberg Alcohol Free Cabernet Sauvignon, 0.05pc vol, £3.50, Tesco
– Eisberg Alcohol-free Sauvignon Blanc NV, 0.05pc vol, £3.50, Waitrose
– Elderbrook: from £9.99 for 3 bottles, Elderbrook
– Eminasin Tempranillo, 0.5pc vol, £6.99, The Alcohol Free Shop
– EminaZero Sparkling, 0pc vol, £6.99, Alcohol Free Shop
– Jarr Kombucha Passion Fruit 473ml: £6.50, Planet Organic
– LemonAid Organic and Fairtrade Blood Orange Drink 330ml: £6.36 for a pack of 4, Ethical Superstore
– Nix & Kix Mango & Ginger with Cayenne Chilli 275ml: £17.95 for a Case of 12, Yumbles
– Sainsbury’s Low Alcohol Cider 500ml, 0.9pc vol, £1.10
– Sainsbury’s Low Alcohol Czech Lager 500ml, 0.5pc vol, £1.20
– Seedlip (“spirit”), Berry Bros (bbr.com), 0pc vol, £29.95
– Ugly Water Lemon & Lime 330ml: £1.15 per can, Planet Organic
– Waitrose Low Alcohol Cider, <1pc vol, 500ml £1.15
Note: People given placebo drinks—non-alcoholic drinks which mimic alcoholic ones—show many of the pro-social behaviours associated with alcohol drinking. Bachman-Turner Overdrive can be found here. ■
- Round table: Alcohol policy and politics, new developments: Vesna-Kerstin Petrič, Head of Unit, Slovenian Ministry of Health; Milojka Kolar Celarc, Health Minister, Slovenia; Marcella Corcoran Kennedy, Minister of State for Health Promotion, Ireland; Lars Møller, Programme Manager, Alcohol and Illicit Drugs; WHO; Michael Farrugia, Ministry for Family and Social Solidarity Malta; Dario Nakić, Health Minister, Croatia.
Panel discussion: Reducing alcohol-related inequalities: what works? Emanuelle Scafatto, Director, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, National Observatory for Alcohol; Peter Rice, Chair Scottish Health Action on Alcohol Problems; Tadeja Hočevar, National Public Health Institute, Slovenia.
Setting the scene: How does alcohol policy fit in the health determinants? Michael Marmot, Professor of Epidemiology, University College of London; David McDaid, Associate Professorial Research Fellow, Department of Social Policy, London School of Economics (LSE).
Round table: Working with non-state actors: Mariann Skar, Secretary General, Eurocare – Alcohol Policy Alliance; Vladimir Pozniak, Coordinator of Organisation Management of Substance Abuse Programme, WHO.