“Enjoyable, witty, thorough … entertaining, eye-opening.”
A uniquely enjoyable and thorough exploration of our multi-faceted relationship with alcohol, harnessing raw curiosity to open the door to positive change.
Never judgmental, yet never shying away from uncomfortable facts, it makes it essential reading for anyone in search of long-term happiness and wellbeing.
It provides fresh thinking and ideas to empower both professionals and amateurs in the field, with its journey through the latest scientific research and unraveling of everyday paradoxes.
This funny, intriguing and poignant journey allows readers to see the myriad circumstances in which alcohol plays a part in our lives with greater insight and compassion.
Phil Cain’s lively and varied writing has been featured by the BBC, Economist, Telegraph, FT, Wall Street Journal, Observer and Al Jazeera. ■
- “This book opened my eyes in so many ways … A must-read for anyone wanting to explore their relationship with alcohol,” (Alison Canavan, wellness advocate and supermodel)
- “A great read offering lots of new materials and insights,” alcohol and drug programme team leader, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
- “Really inspiring material—way to go—inspirational and appreciated by those like myself, fortunate to have recovery and a second chance at life,” psychology professor, US (email)
- “An incredibly insightful read,” counsellor, London.
- “Enjoyable, witty and thorough.” (5-stars)
- “It’s a great read, entertaining and eye-opening.” (5-stars)
- “The charming and effective writing style makes the reading more than interesting … A must read!” (5-stars)
- “Great book, easy to read, full of ‘fun’ facts.” (5-stars)
- “Phil Cain hits the right tone, not preachy or judgemental but not shying away from or sugar coating the facts either.” (5-stars)
- “I love Phil Cain’s unique style and way to put things in perspective.” (5-stars)
Follow the Goodreads page
- Alcohol: One of many ways to flavour
- Alcohol: Go with the flow🗼
- Alcohol-dementia link far bigger than thought
- Dry January lets us realise the benefits of low-level drinking
- Labels can empower alcohol drinkers
- Alcohol labellers face legal “domino effect”
- My alcohol awareness journey
- Sobriety sizzles: sobriety on the brink of achieving the popularity it deserves
- Drinking alcohol is no way to avoid dementia
- Alcohol: A springboard to understanding
- Weaving happiness into journalism
- Alcohol: Go easy on the amygdala🗼
- Tea and cake help deliver better science
- Dry January: Does it help or hinder us? (The Fix)
- Alcohol, “the elephant in the room” (Institute of Alcohol Studies)
- Alcohol: Our legacy social medium🗼
- Dedication, a benign addiction
Format: 5″x 8″, 219 pages, B&W (no illustrations)